Monday, May 30, 2011

KEY/MAIL HOLDER REDO

I was walking by my door that goes into the garage the other day and noticed my mail and key holder. I've had this for years and decided it needed a make over.  I went to Walmart and got some supplies that I needed i.e. Mod Podge and some FolkArt Cardinal Red paint and some other items for another project I hope to do this next weekend.  The first thing I did was put some stripper on it to try and get some of the finish off.  This helped some but not much so I then got out my sander and went over it several times trying to remove what I could of the finish.  At this point I should have thought to use a primer on it before I started the painting, but no I didn't think of it until two coats had already been put on.  I kept adding coats of paint until the it was so covered none of the wording or pictures shown through.

.
Please excuse the lousy photography.  I do not have a very good camera, but I thank God for what I do have until the time I can get another one.  This picture is after all coats have been put on.  Not bad but it needed something else.  I have brown glaze I thought would look good on top of the red.  I put a light coat on and this is how it came out.

Doesn't seem to be much difference but the red is not quite so glaring.  I added my items I was going to put on the front.  A key and a stamp which I found on The Graphic Fairy.


Here's another look at the stamp.



I got the "mailing service" out of my phone directory.  I thought it looked really good at the top of the stamp.

                            The "keys" also came from the phone directory.

I thought it looked rather bare in the middle so I searched and found this.


Again from the phone directory.  As you can tell I can rarely ever cut anything straight, but again that's o.k. with me.  Here's how it looked after adding the "Adventure Travel."



Much better.  I spray painted the hooks with Krylon Satin Champagne Nouveau spray paint.  Here is the completed key/mail holder.


The only glaring problem with the whole thing is the Mod Podge I was unable to get off when I set the key onto the wood.  You can notice it in the picture because of the shiny part it left.  I tried getting it off put it wouldn't budge.I might try and paint it so it will remove the shiny part.  It's not all that noticeable except when you look at it a certain way and the camera really picked it up.

One project down and a bunch more to go.

Hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Memorial day.

1 comment:

  1. Sooooo cute!!! I love it. I especially love the ModPodge of the stamp/key. Great idea. Now I want one!

    ReplyDelete