Sunday, May 15, 2011

7 CUP SALAD A Refreshing Summer Evening Meal

Several years ago I came across an awesome recipe in Family Circle magazine.  Just as the title of my blog states it's called "7 Cup Salad".  It's a great salad to make during the summer.  It's quick, easy and delicious! I made some Tuesday night.  If I had realized I was going to blog about this great recipe I would have taken pictures while in the process of making it, but alas I didn't, so you get a picture off the Internet of the finished product.

Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 minutes Chill: 2 hours
7-Cup Salad




Ingredients
  • 1 cup  cubed cooked potatoes, (about one 8-ounce potato, peeled, cut into small cubes and cooked)     Or an 8 oz sweet potato
  • 1 cup  cubed cooked smoked ham     I used canned chicken 
  • 1 cup  diced hard-cooked egg (about 3 large eggs)
  • 1 cup  cubed apple (about 1 medium-size apple)    I used a Red Delicious
  • 1 cup  cubed peeled cucumber (about 1 large cucumber)
  • 1 cup  diced onion (1 medium-size onion)    I used red onion to add color
  • 1 cup  mayonnaise-type salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip)    I used 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt.  Next time I'm using all yogurt!
  • 1/4 teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon  black pepper
  • Parsley for garnish, optional.
  • I add 1 pkg of dry ranch dressing to the mix 


Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, ham, egg, apple, cucumber, onion, salad dressing, salt and pepper.
2. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

I believe you will find it cool and refreshing as a summer evening meal.  Now as for a man enjoying this I don't really know since I am single.  You married ladies give it try and let me know what your hubby thinks about it.

                                     Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment