Friday, May 13, 2016

Decluttering My Home

While I was recuperating from my knee surgery my youngest daughter started in my living room de-cluttering.  She thinks I have too much stuff.  I call my youngest daughter a minimalist when it comes to her home. She calls me a hoarder but I'm really not or maybe I just don't see myself as one.  Let me explain how this difference between us got started. 

When we had to put my Mom in the hospital then directly into a nursing home the state of Oklahoma gave us one year to clean out and sell my Mom's home.  For me this was hard to do, since Mom had a house on 5 acres.  I could have cared less about the home it was the five acres I did not want to let go of. God did a miracle in my heart so when it was sold I was able to let go and not look back. Getting it ready to sell was so much fun! NOT!! We had to trash, pack and sell stuff. My Mom had a 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home PLUS the barn.  Because I was traveling for Halliburton the brunt of the trashing, packing and selling was left up to my sister, brother-in-law and niece.   I did sort and pack when I was home long enough to do so.  Because my Mom had to live most of her life watching every penny and making sure they had enough to live on my Mother did not buy much for herself unless it was an absolute necessity. When they got older, and after my Dad died, Mom would purchase little things if she liked it. Oh, and Christmas my Mom loved purchasing Christmas decorations at the after Christmas sales.  It got to the point that she bought so much that most of it was packed in boxes and put in closets or in the garage.  Her closets, three of the four bedrooms and garage were full to the bursting point!!  Mom also was one who knew the value of things, so she did have a lot of stuff that were antiques and had value.  I'm the child who loves old things, so I did keep quite a bit of Mom's stuff. What I kept would only put a tiny dent in what she had. I love old things because they were usually better made. My sister not so much.  Let's put it this way she did not know that old wooden thread spools had value so she threw a bunch away.  UGH!!  My niece and I  told her not to throw anything away until she ran it by us.  Love my sister dearly, but you can see the differences between us.  She did know the value of big items, but smalls like wooden thread spools or old Valentines Day or birthday cards she had no idea that people would purchase such things.

So back to why my YD thinks I'm a hoarder. My garage is full due to the one storage shed I had got termites. I had to have it sprayed and then taken down. The stuff that was in the shed are now in my one car garage. It's full to the point I can't get my car in the garage..  So you can see why Kim thinks I am like my Mom. 

On my defense most of what was in the shed was Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving decorations.  I have been through my entire house once before and got rid of stuff, but now I am really trying to narrow down to stuff I really love.  I've got two rooms left to go through.  Hopefully, next year I will do it again and get rid of more.  I'm not one who loves to have garage sales so most of the stuff I've either sold  or gave away.  I just might try to have one this year, but if it doesn't go well then that will be the very last one I have.

Ok everyone I'm posting this without any pictures.  I'm going to have to get back into the habit of taking pictures to add to my posts! 

Everyone have a blessed weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment