Saturday, July 30, 2011

DIY - - HOME MADE DISHWASHER DETERGENT

I finally got to make the homemade dishwasher detergent!  YEA!!  I really do enjoy making my own laundry and dishwasher soap.  Especially since it cleans  even better than store bought and on the plus side its CHEAPER cost per load! You're calling my name when something is better and cheaper!  The original dishwasher recipe had called for citric acid.  When my DD was here last week for a visit with my DGD we were talking about making our own laundry soap.  I mentioned I wanted to make the dishwasher soap but could not find any citric acid locally and DD told me that I  could use unsweetened  Kool-Aid lemonade in place of citric acid. I had forgotten that I had read you could replace Kool-Aid Lemonade for the citric so I was totally excited that I could now make my dishwasher soap.   Friday after work I came home and made detergent.

Here's a picture of the ingredients. Remember my camera does not take good pictures (or maybe it could be the operator)!!


As you can see by the already opened pkg of Kool-Aid I thought of taking this picture after I had already made the detergent.  Here's a close-up picture of the unopened Kool-Aid.



This is the recipe as I found it on line:

1/2 cup  20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 cup  Super Washing Soda
1/4 cup Kosher Salt
4 packets of Kool-Aid unsweetened Lemonade.

Put all into a bowl and mix well. 

Use 1 TBSP per load 

I wanted a full quart jar of the detergent but did not have enough Kool-Aid packets. I had only bought 10 packets so I fudged on the measurements.

My Recipe Measurements

2-1/2 cups 20 Mule Team Borax
2-1/2 cups Super Washing Soda
2- 1/4 cups Kosher Salt
10 packets of Kool-Aid Lemonade.
   
From what I read on line they stated use only the Lemonade Kool-Aid since the other Kool-Aids will color the inside of your dishwasher.  I can't vouch for that just telling you what I read. Also, on http://jenerallyspeakingblog.blogspot.com/ she used the entire box of borax and super washing soda, 3 cups of Epsom Salt and 24 pkgs of the Kool-Aid.  I just might have to try that next time to save making the soap for a long time.


Here's my finished product.


I went on line and found a picture of a dishwasher. I then saved it into my pictures and opened it up in my handy-dandy GIMP Editor and added my words.  I also did a label for the lid.

 Here's a picture of the dishwasher without the words on it.
 
Feel free to copy the picture of the dishwasher and use it if you want. 



This label I got free off of http://www.cottage-industrialist.com/blog/  They also have other free labels.

Next I will try my hand at making the liquid laundry detergent.  For the recipe on that go to http://andthenshesaidblogblogblog@blogspot.com/.  This is my DD's blog.

I'm off to use my first tablespoon of detergent!!

Have a blessed and wonderful weekend.

PS:  I tried my first dishwasher load with the detergent.  It worked even better than the Cascade I've used. Cascade always left spots of detergent on my lock and lock that I use for work lunches.  Nary a detergent spot on this load and it looked cleaner and brighter than any load I've ever done with any type of store bought detergent. The white vinegar I put in to eliminate spots was awesome! No spots!  This is definitely a keeper.

PPS:  One suggestion.  Put the detergent in something that will not break because it tends to clump up and harden if it sits too long.   If it's in a glass jar you won't be able to hit it against a counter to help break it up. 

1 comment:

  1. I make my laundry soap and love it, never knew you could make dishwasher soap!

    ReplyDelete