Thursday, April 14, 2011

MY GRANDSON AND THE WESTERN TOWN

Several weeks ago I had a great weekend with my grandson Chase.  When we got back into Duncan that Friday night we went to Hastings and got several movies to watch.   Two for him and one for me. That night we stayed up and watched one of them.  Saturday was a fun day.  I got up early, Chase slept till almost noon, and  cooked pancakes, eggs and bacon.  He told me he always liked to come over, because I make a big breakfast on Saturday mornings.  Chase is such a wonderful grandson.  He loves the Lord with all his heart and has a very tender heart towards others. 

Anyhoo, on Saturday we went and picked up my Mom and we all went out to this wonderful little Western Town just east of Bray. Below are some pictures I took of the place.  The first thing you see as you walk up to the town is this sign.

 Then you come to this little bridge that states Snake River.  That's my grandson Chase.

 This old covered wagon is on the left side just past the bridge.

Next is this wonderful little church with the cemetery on the right side. The picture just below is of Chase standing at the pulpit ready to preach.  My Mom just had to play an old hymn on the old piano behind him.  I didn't think about getting a picture of the pews but this church was tiny.  Just what you would expect when one was in a small town in the western days.

This is the building that started the whole thing. That's my Mom and Chase going into the saloon and yes Misty I allowed my grandson to go into a bar.  It's called the Blue Goose Saloon.  It is the original saloon that sat on the Chisholm Trail years ago.  The gentleman on the left is the one who owns this property.  He had been searching for the saloon for a long time and some one told him he needed  to go look at this old building in Rush Springs, OK.  He did and found it was the Blue Goose. Someone had moved it to Rush Springs and then put siding around it so you did not even realize what it was.  It was two or three days before it was going to be demolished.  He got there just in time to save it!!

This is the old bar in the saloon.
These are three bullet holes from some famous gunfighter.  The historical society told him he needed to keep these and not fill them in.  He told us that most of the famous gunfighters--Jesse James, Belle Star, Dalton Gang, etc came to the saloon a lot.  The gentleman was quite a talker and loved telling us it's history.

This is a working blacksmith they have in the town.  He told us every so often they have a shindig of some kind and all the blacksmith guys from over Oklahoma and Texas come and show people how things were done during the Western days.


Chase just had to have his picture taken with the western hat on and I, of course, had to get one of him in the jail cell.
 They had a small cafe that had this wooden Indian in it.  I have more pictures I could show you, but it would make this a really long blog, so I'll show you only one more.

Since I knew we were going to be in the country I decided to take my dog Prince.  He really loved the freedom of exploring the whole place.

We all took the long way home via Duncan Lake Road. Chase got to see Duncan Lake. I hadn't been down the road in a long time so it was nice to see what had changed. Believe me it wasn't much.  I did find the riding stable. I will have to take Chase to it next time he comes so we can spend an afternoon riding horses. I've enjoyed sharing our fun weekend with you. Pray you all have a very blessed weekend!!!

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a perfect Nana/grandson day!
    Thanks for your comment on my "in between" post...so many seem to be in that place right now.

    ReplyDelete